The Secret Truth About Demons, Miracles, and Mark
Here are a few nuggets of information we can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that we know:
- The Gospel of Mark is the oldest and the shortest of the four canonical gospels.
- Mark’s gospel was a source for the authors of the gospels of Matthew and Luke.
- The Gospel of Mark was written about 30-40 years after Jesus’ crucifixion.
- The narrative style of Mark’s gospel is one of near-constant action, packing a lot of content into not a lot of space.
Case in point regarding the break-neck pace of Mark’s storytelling: we are still in the first chapter of Mark and we’re already on our fifth set piece!
There are, however, some bits of knowledge that still elude us — and this week’s reading from Mark’s gospel presents us with two of the biggest mysteries that abound. As we encounter Mark’s Jesus, at least two questions are inescapable — especially for 21st century sophisticates such as ourselves:
- What do we make of miracles?
- And what is the deal with all those dang demons??
- Also, why should we even bother to care about such things nowadays??
Fear not, gentle readers, for Pastor Dave is on the case! He will wrestle with those questions and offer absolute, no-doubt, once-for-all answers in his sermon this Sunday, February 7th.
Don’t miss “The Secret Truth About Demons, Miracles, and Mark” only on our Woodridge UMC YouTube channel starting at 10:00AM.
Again, worship with us this Sunday starting at 10:00AM on our Woodridge UMC YouTube channel.