Public Action to Deliver Shelter
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak and concern for the health and safety of PADS clients, volunteers, and congregations, all Interim (Overnight) Housing shelter sites are closed, beginning Saturday, March 21st, 2020. However, PADS is still accepting donations of food and money to support their mission.
- Food Donations: DuPage PADS cannot accept donations for general use during this time. Please consider donating essential items using this link using curbside drop off boxes located in the parking lot of 703 W. Liberty, Wheaton. Drop off hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm and Saturday-Sunday 8:00am-4:00pm. Please do not leave donations outside of the scheduled times, especially food items overnight.
- Monetary Donations: a special fund has been set up for this purpose. PADS is working hard to find alternate housing in hotels for guests, as well as provide them with food. This will take a lot of financial resources to sustain this for more than a few days. Visit PADS website here and look at the very top for the link to donate.
DID YOU KNOW???
Woodridge United Methodist Church (WUMC) donates food and provides 24 hour staffing at a DuPage Public Action to Deliver Shelter (PADS) Interim Overnight Housing site four times per year.
The Interim Overnight Housing Program offers families and individuals a safe environment. The spirit of hospitality is a priority, as well as respect for each person.
PADS Interim Overnight Housing facts:
- Interim (Overnight) Housing Sites are open 365 days a year at a different location each night
- Sites open at 6:00pm for families and 7:00pm for adults; and close the next morning at 7:00am
- Family friendly sites are available from October through April in the Southern part of DuPage County
How Woodridge UMC helps:
Four times per year, our congregation volunteers to staff the PADS site at First United Methodist Church located at 1032 Maple Ave, Downers Grove, IL. We setup the sleeping arrangements starting at 4:00 PM on Tuesday, serve dinner, monitor the site overnight, serve breakfast, and cleanup in the morning. We're usually done by 7:30 AM Wednesday. We also donate all of the food for dinner and breakfast service as well as a sack lunch for the clients as they go off on their day. This endeavor requires the participation of over 60 people including almost 40 on-site volunteers.
As you can imagine, it takes an all-hands-on-deck effort to successfully fulfill the commitment that we have made to PADS. Please look into your hearts and see if you can help with one or more of these crucial jobs. If you cannot make a commitment for every one of our PADS dates but would be willing to be on a call list, please call the church office 630-968-6050.